Friday, October 8, 2010

***Writing Reminder***

Good evening bloggers,

I'm seeing lots of great things happening on these blogs! Lots of comments are going back and forth, and there are some great ideas being posted. Keep up the great work!

Just a quick reminder: please remember to PROOFREAD your writing before you publish! Use the writing process just like we do in class. Take time to revise, edit, proofread and publish. Make sure you've fixed as many mistakes as possible, because this will make it easier for your readers to understand what you're trying to say.

Example:

tonight i ddint do much i just hung out wid my friend sara it was awesome because she has a new littel baby and hes really cute he barely cried the whole time and hes getting bigger n storngr all the time i cant wait till i get to babsit cuz hes awesme

The message above is a message I typed without correcting typos, grammar, punctuation, and spelling. These things would be easy to fix and would make my message much clearer to readers.  Little things like making sure the correct words are capitalized, putting periods in the correct spots, and verifying the spelling of words will make a huge difference in the quality of your writing. PLEASE keep this in mind in the future, as I expect nothing but the best from my students, and I know we can all do a little bit better in this department.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

The spell checker dose not check my spelling. It dose not even do any thing to it . Also my entire blog will not let me use the top bar of things!!!!

Ms. Crosbie said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Alright, let me see if I can help. First, and this is a really common mistake that I see all the time, you've misspelled does as dose. That's a completely different word with a different meaning. Make sure you spell it D O E S.

To use the spell checking tool, you need to click on the little button with the ABC and a check mark. It will then highlight any words it doesn't recognize. If you click on the highlighted words, a list of suggestions will come up and you simply need to click on the word you were trying to say.

If this doesn't work for you, try Mr. Farrugia's suggestion and type your blog entry into a word processor first (like Microsoft Word, Corel Word Perfect) and make your corrections there. Once finished, just copy and paste your post into the online space for your blog.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other troubles.