Friday, October 15, 2010

Assignment #3: Behind My Name

Good morning, bloggers.

Because you have all been so inpired and engaged with our new blogging experiment, I wanted to make sure that you didn't go home this weekend empty handed. Once again, I'm borrowing from 
Miss Pollock and using an assignment that her class has already completed. I know a few of you have already checked out the posts her students have done for this assignment, so you probably have a good idea of what I'm looking for already.

I would like you to do some research about your name and write a post telling us what you learned. As well, you are going to include a hyperlink within this post.


First, go to the website, Behind the NameOpen it in a new tab in your browser so you can still have my blog and your blog open. Search for your name. You can type in your name to the search bar or search alphabetically.

Another site that has lots of interesting information about names is
Baby Names. Once you have found your name, you can click on "more info" and see a chart demonstrating how popular your name has been in different years. At the bottom of the "more info" page, you can fill out a survey about your name to help the administrators of the website enhance their information. You may do this when you are done writing your post.
Tip: Search your full first name, not a shortened part. For example, if you are Isabella, but everyone calls you "Bella", search "Isabella" to get the most information.

Find out the meaning or the root of your name. My first name is Gillian and when I searched for it, I got what I needed on the first try (I guess there aren't many derivitives of Gillian). However, for some names, you may be directed to other names (For example: Ms. Pollock's first name is Shauna, and she was directed by a link to "Shaun", then "Sean", then "John" before she got information about the root meaning of her name.You may have to follow a similar path to find out the roots of your name.)

Start a new post. In this post, you will answer several questions in full sentences. You may need to copy my text and fill in the blanks.

Start off your post by linking back to this assignment.

Behind My Name: ________ (fill in your name)

Before I started this assignment, I thought my name was ______, because _________.
I think my parents chose this name for me because
__________________________.

After searching on
Behind the Name (create a link here), I learned that my name means ____________ (use your own words here).

Some other interesting things I learned are _______________________ (maybe there was extra information, you learned the root of your name or where it comes from or who are some famous people with the same name, maybe you looked up your middle or last name).
I think my name does/does not (select one) suit me because ___________________.

If I could give myself a new name, it would be ______________, because _________________.


You may add any extra comments or reflections about your name at the end of the post.


For a bonus, look up the name of a character in a book, movie or TV show that you like and write about why that name does/does not suit that character's personality.
For a sample of how you can do a great job on this assignment, check out
Miss Pollock's
 or Hannah's.

Please leave a comment at the bottom of this post when you have completed this assignment. Make sure you are logged in so I can easily access your blog.
This assignment will be due on WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 20.

15 comments:

Brandon said...

Im finished assignment 3 named What My Name Means.

Karran said...

what if your name isn't on any of those websites??

Ms. Crosbie said...

Hi Karran,

You don't have to use the two websites I provided. If you can find information from other places, that is completely OK.

Caitlin said...

Greetings Ms.Crosbie, I am done assingment #3

BreahD said...

Hey Ms.Crobie,

I'm finished.

It's on my blog as titled "My Name."

Farewinds! -Bree-

Alicia`s blog said...

hey Ms.Crosbie i am done assinment #3 it is named Behind my name !!!

Sam V said...

Hi Ms.C! I finished this assignment, it's on my blog post titled "Behind My Name".

steph said...

Hi ms.Crosbie I'm done assigment 3 I loved this assigment

DaynaLT said...

Hello, Ms.Crosbie. I did assigment 3, but I didn't do the bonus for this assigment.

Courtney said...

Hello, Ms. C i have compleated assignment 3 witch is labeled "Assignment 3: Behind My Name"

~Court

Kaitlin said...

Hi miss c im done my assigment # 3

zach said...

DONE IT!

Andrianna said...

I finished and posted it on my blog!!!

AARON IS COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLIO said...

i finished and posted it on my blog and the title is behind the name

Daniel said...

I finsished the name project